Monday, August 3, 2009

Race Director Hired

I now have a race director/general manager. His name is Johan and he is from Belgium.
The race director is as important as the riders. The race director sees the big picture and plans the strategy. He or she has to be focused and brilliant. Johan Bruyneel is currently the race director for team Astana and previously was the race director for team Discovery and before that team US Postal Service. Yes, he is the magician in the car behind the pelton talking to Lance and his teammates. NINE Tour de France wins. He is from Belgium. That's all I'm saying. I can see those wheels turning as you wonder if THE Johan Bruyneel is my race director. I'm not saying yes, and I'm not saying no. All I will say is that THE Johan Bruyneel obviously has some time on his hands for the upcoming year. After all, how hard could it be to race direct Lance Armstrong to another tour victory? Hey Lance, remember all those other years? Just do what you did then.

As for a metaphrorical Tour de France, a race director is the key. Every Sunday Johan will meet with me, right before I go to bed, and we will make a list of things that must be done the next week. Every night Monday - Saturday we will meet and review what needs to be done the next day, cross off things that got done, list the accomplishments and identify the obstacles of the day.

I have my list in front of me now.

Since Johan is busy and a world traveler, I am having a helicopter pad installed on the roof of my house. I go to bed at random times, so timing may be a challenge, but a race director's gotta do what a race director's gotta do. And no one is better than Johan.

Now some of you who may want to hire your own race director to help you change your life and train for your own metaphorical Tour, I can hear you now saying "I live in a place that doesn't allow helicopter pads". Well, that is too bad for you, you may have to go to Plan B. You could build a little house next to yours for your race director or convert the den into a tiny apartment for your race director. The important thing is just to have a race director; to make the list, review it daily, and commit to listening to your inner race director. I have Johnan, but eveyone has an inner race director.

No comments:

Post a Comment