Saturday, September 12, 2009

Out of sorts

Ok, today, I am out of sorts. Please, send sorts. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. I need to report on my metaphorical Tour of Ireland. I had assigned myself some tasks to do and if I finished them, that was going to count for metaphorically finishing the Tour. Well, I didn't do them, because of the previously mentioned distractions of This and That. I was mentally telling myself what a lazy idiot I was and guess what? Lance did not finish that last day of the Tour of Ireland.

I was talking to Johann. If you don't have the chance to routinely talk to Johann, you could read his book, We Might As Well Win. Johann Bruyneel is a very competitive person. He wins often, but even he cannot win all the time. He explained to me, "I had to not only accept the idea of losing, but find ways to appreciate it -- so I could learn from it as much as I had from my victories." Losing, or in my case, not accomplishing all the tasks I want to accomplish is part of life. Johann advises me to "Find a victory in every loss"

I tend to be very hard on myself. I expect a lot of myself and when I "fail" at something, I can easily go into an emotional tailspin. This is behavior that is quite worthless and even dangerous. I realize that, yet I still focus on the list of things yet to do, rather than the list of things completed. I'll never win the Tour de France this way. Therefore, I will change my thoughts. After decades of self-flagellation, how difficult could it be to change all that and welcome failures and mistakes as a chance to learn. Simple, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment