Friday, September 25, 2009

The Ultimate Goal

I still have to figure out what "winning" the metaphorical Tour De France would be. What goals should I put in front of me? I suppose the ultimate goal is to live my life as my authentic self. As lofty as that sounds, that is not a very well described goal. Goals have to be measurable. You have to know exactly what you want or else you have no clue when or if you achieve it or even if you are close to achieving it.

Besides, I'm not even sure what living my life as my "authentic self" means. One assumes that the authentic self includes primarily the better part of one's personality. Or, does it mean that I should continue to be my authentic self but just find people to hang out with who enjoy the challenge of me at my more difficult times. And how do you find such people. Wanted: friends for well meaning but high maintenance woman. Must like chocolate and dogs (separately, not together) and have own car.

If my goal in life is for things to be "better" does this mean I am supposed to be better, or is the world around me supposed to be better?

I do think my goals have been too vague. For years I have wanted to be more physically fit, more organized, and to be able to "find time for creative projects". If complaining about things worked, our entire planet would be living in sheer bliss. So wanting to be "more" and to have "more" have not actually caused me to achieve these goals. I rode the bike today, so I am more fit than yesterday, so have I reached my goal? I know where my keys are. Since I am more organized than the days that I lose my keys, have I achieved goal number 2? And where does one look for additional time? I have 24 hours a day, the same as everyone else. If I want to do creative projects, I must do them within that 24 hour a day, seven day a week inventory of time.

Note to self: If you ever find "extra" time, remember not to tell anyone. It's the kind of conversation people walk away from, carefully, slowly, and backwards.

Quote that I like: "People often say that this or that person has not yet found themselves, but the self is not something that one finds. It is something one creates. Thomas Szasz

So, if we are creating ourselves, who shall we create?

No comments:

Post a Comment